However, when you’re starting out, what you need is one place that has all the info you need neatly organized. That’s why I like Geoff Shaw’s KINDLING site.
I’ve made the mistake of calling it a “Kindling Course” a few times, and as a result have heard people say things like “Oh, I’ve got a lot on at the moment – I couldn’t commit to any kind of course” or “When I’ve finished my dissertation I’ll have time to do another course.”
OK: let’s make it clear: this is not a ‘course’ as such. You don’t have to complete modules and send in assignments or weekly tasks. You don’t get awarded a pass or a fail, and you don’t get As, Bs and Cs.
KINDLING is a private site chock-a-block full of training on writing a Kindle book (either fiction or non-fiction) and on promoting that book. Or rather, promoting the series of books that you will write, if you want to have a better chance of success.
It’s not free, but the wealth of information in there makes it well worth the price of admittance. (At the time of writing it was a one-off payment of $77, but the price will rise from time to time as Geoff adds value by increased content.) You can check the current cost here and read more about it at the same time.
Here’s some of what you’ll find in the site:
- An Updates Section – If you’ve been a member for a while, when you come back, you check here first to see what’s new. Geoff keeps updating his site to keep pace with what Amazon Kindle is doing NOW.
- FAQ (lots of people as the same questions. You might well find what you want to know here).
- Where to Start: Newbies. This is really handy if you’re just starting out.
- Home: Getting books to work, Sales magnets, Research and more.
- Formatting: This can be a real bugbear when you’re just starting out. There’s a video on formatting problems as well as other information.
- Fiction Writing: Step by step advice on planning, plotting, writing, proofing and promoting.
- Non Fiction Writing: the kind of books you can write to start earning money quickly.
- Romance and Erotica: How to plot it and write it; what not to do.
- Using social media – Twitter and Facebook
Finally, if you have questions that cannot be answered by what is on the site (and there’s a LOT on the site) Geoff answers emails personally.
I have now got 7 books on Kindle – 5 nonfiction and 2 fiction, under a pen-name – and I still keep checking Geoff’s Kindling site for updated information. I like to keep it simple!
I’ve signed up for a lot of courses, e-books and private sites over the years, and this is one of the best value-for-money sites I’ve seen. I highly recommend it, but make your own decision!